Taken from his mother at age three, Steve Klakowicz lives in the clutches of a cruel foster family. He finds his only refuge in a box of books given to him by a kind stranger, books that take him to new worlds he can only imagine. He begins to hope that one day he might have a different life.
As he grows, Steve is determined to unravel the mystery of his origins and find his birth family. A light-skinned boy with blue eyes, a curly Afro, and a Polish last name, he embarks on an extraordinary quest for his identity, armed with only one clue. Yet nothing is as it appears.
In this inspiring and harrowing memoir, A Chance in the World teaches children:
- to begin each day with hope
- that there is goodness in the world, and it is possible to be a beacon of light for others
- that they can overcome challenging circumstances
- that everyone comes from different backgrounds and has value
- to apply Steve's inspirational message to their own lives, through age-appropriate discussion questions
This new youth adaption, written for 8 to 12 year-olds, shares Steve's journey with sensitivity, honesty, and hope. Adapted from the USA Today bestselling memoir, A Chance in the World.
Age Range: 8 - 12